Jane Cheadle studied political theory at UCT before turning to drawing and animation. She received a Chevening Scholarship from the British Foreign Office to complete a Master’s degree at the Royal College of Art in London in 2006 and to attend the Royal Drawing School in 2013.
Cheadle has received commissions from, among others, the Prince’s Trust for the animation Falling from Orbit, which was screened at Buckingham Palace in 2014, and the Barbican for No Kings.
Cheadle has had residencies in Japan, Austria, Germany and Great Britain.
Selected screenings, exhibitions and commissions
- Visions, Nunnery Gallery, London (2016)
- Animate Open: Parts & Labour, The Quad, Derby (2015)
- Evidence, Robert Burt Gallery, London (2015)
- Performed materials, A Million Minutes, AIR, London (2015)
- Flow (screening in collaboration with David Gripper), David Krut Gallery, Cape Town (2014)
- Falling from Orbit (screening), Buckingham Palace, London (2014)
- Afrique du Sud Remix, Musée d’art contemporain du Val de Marne (MAC/VAL), France (26 October 2013)
- Official Film Selection, H.E.L.D. Film Festival 2013 (Croydon International Film Festival), London (2013)
- VideoMedeja Festival, Serbia (2013)
- Performed Materials (on-site animation project funded by the Borough of Islington), A Million Minutes, London (2013)
- On-Site, Barbican Exhibition Halls, London (2012)
- Animated Drawings: screening of work by emerging artists (screening of Line Weight), Parasol Unit, London (2012)
- Galleria Regresso, Memorial do Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, Brazil (2011)
- Animacall, Contemporary Art Center of Thessaloniki, Greece (2011)
- Labour and leisure, Wyspa Institute of Art, Gdansk, Poland (2011)
- Art Stack, Mumbai (2010)
- KM 500 3, Kunsthalle Mainz, Germany (2010)
- Draw: When Line Becomes Thought, Royal College of Art, London (2009)
- Official Selection, Festival d’Annecy, France (2008)